Friday, August 23, 2019

8-23-2019

Kamusta mga higala! HELLO FRIENDS! The last week has flown by. It is weird because the first 3 or 4 days it seemed like all of the clocks were broken and time had frozen but now time is really zipping by. Speaking of zipping as I am writing this email I am all out of breath because my kauban (companion) and I raced to the building where we are writing our emails. Unfortunately, I am not a fast runner and I have never been a fast runner. So I had a 15 foot headstart and he caught me in 100 feet. He is definitely faster than me. Speaking of my companion me and my companion hatched a plan on Wednesday. New missionaries are dropped off at the MTC on Wednesday. They get these orange stickers that identify them as new missionaries. They get a missionary host who is an experienced missionary at the MTC and has a sticker that say missionary host on it. The host helps new missionaries carry baggage from the cars to their room. When new missionaries come to the MTC they always get told by other missionaries "Welcome to the MTC". Me and my companion used an orange sticker we had saved and a missionary host sticker that one of our hosts had left, grabbed a small suitcase and a map and paraded the campus. We fooled everyone we got a ton of welcome to the MTC's! Except the old people they kept giving us looks as if they knew who we were so eventually my companion wimped out but it was fun while it lasted.

Jordan and Elder Case pretending to be a new missionary and their host.


We had elder Bednar come talk to the MTC this last Tuesday. It was pretty crazy. I don't think I have ever been that close to an apostle or felt the spirit that strongly. Me and my companion got  the front row seats that missionaries could get. The first two were reserved for family and older people. When Elder Bednar walked in the whole gym audibly gasped because no one knew who was talking. He is getting older but I could tell he had the mantle of an apostle. I really liked the message he told us. He talked about how we cannot recieve guidance from the holy ghost if we are not moving forward. The holy ghost cannot guide idle feet. He used Nephi as an example. In 1 nephi 4 verse 6 and 7 it reads,

And I was aled by the Spirit, not bknowing beforehand the things which I should do.
Nevertheless I went forth,
I know that as we go forth we will be guided by the holy ghost. Elder Bednar also said that we are on the lords mission not our mission. We are instruments in the hands of god to bring others unto Christ. One of the last things he said is instead of looking for huge dramatic life changing guidance from the holy ghost we should watch and listen for still small spiritual guidance. I know that this principal can be applied to the doctrine of the gospel as well. Instead of focusing on huge, dramatic, life changing doctrines we need to really focus on learning and emphasizing the basic fundamentals of the gospel. In Alma 37 verse 6 it reads,

" I say unto you that by small and simple things do great things come to pass."
 The last thing that Elder Bednar did was he got up in the middle of the closing hymn. When he did the entire chapel went quiet and stopped singing. He walked up to the pulpit and said that the holy ghost had correlated this hymn to match his talk's subject. He had talked about how the grace of christ all things were possible. He stated over the pulpit to pay attention to the words. It was one of the strongest spiritual experiences I had ever had. The biggest thing Elder Bednar said was "Be good not perfect".

Last but not least there are no girls in our district which means that some of the elders are a little bummed out because there aren't sisters that we can be friends with. My companion wrote something really funny on the white board the other day regarding this topic.




All is well here at the MTC and I hope all is well for you too. Talk to ya next week.
Salamat ug amping!

Jordan and his companion, Elder Case

Elder Case, Elder H, Jordan and Elder Farmer (I think)

Same group of 4 as above

No comments:

Post a Comment